If you read Planet Debian often, you’ve probably noticed a trend of Free Software activity reports at the beginning of the month. First, those reports seemed a bit unamusing and lengthy, but since I take the time to read them I’ve learnt a lot of things, and now I’m amazed at the amount of work that people are doing for Free Software. Indeed, I knew already that many people are doing lots of work. But reading those reports gives you an actual view of how much it is.
Then, I decided that I should do the same and write some kind of report since I became a Debian Developer in July. I think it’s a nice way to share your work with others and maybe inspire them as it happened to me. So I asked some of the people that have been inspiring me how do they do it. I mean, I was curious to know how they keep track of the work they do and how long it takes to write their reports. It seems that it takes quite some time, it’s mostly manual work and usually starts by the end of the month, reviewing their contributions in mailing lists, bug trackers, e-mail folders, etc.
Here I am now, writing my first report about my Free Software activities since July and until September 2017. I hope you like it:
- Filed bug #867068 in nm.debian.org: Cannot claim account after former SSO alioth cert expired.
- Replied a request in private mail for becoming the maintainer for the Monero Wallet, that I declined suggesting to file an RFP.
- Attended DebConf17 DebCamp but I missed most of Open Day and the rest of the Debian conference in Montreal.
- Rebuilt libdbd-oracle-perl after being removed from testing to enable the transition to perl 5.26.
- Filed bug #870872 in tracker.debian.org: Server Error (500) when using a new SSO cert.
- Filed bug #870876 in tracker.debian.org: make subscription easier to upstreams with many packages.
- Filed bug #871767 in lintian: [checks/cruft] use substr instead of substring in example.
- Filed bug #871769 in reportbug: man page mentions -a instead of -A.
- Suggested to remove libmail-sender-perl in bug #790727, since it’s been deprecated upstream.
dpt-takeoverin how to adopt pkg-perl manual.
- Fixed a broken link to HCL in https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware.
- Adopted libapache-admin-config-perl into pkg-perl team, upgraded to 0.95-1 and closed bug #615457.
- Fixed bug #875835 in libflickr-api-perl: don’t add quote marks in SYNOPSIS.
- Removed 50 inactive accounts from pkg-perl team in alioth as part of our annual membership ping.
“unamusing and lengthy” ♥